We are looking for the best of the best FPV pilots to race in the Inaugural US National Drone Racing Championships at the California State Fair. We are very excited to have you participate in the event and have designed the entire 3 days to be highly social through parties and racing. Below is a general outline of the event and the basic pilot information. To get all the latest details, please subscribe to our news list on the right.
- Pilot Registration: (SOLD OUT!)
- How many pilots: 120 pilots
- Entry Fee: $99 (includes 2 days of Racing, State Fair Entry and parking for you and one spotter ($70 value), swag, 2 Soccer game tickets ($70. value) etc.)
- Required: AMA License and a Timing Transponder (purchase or rent when you register)
- Total Prize Purse: USD$25,000 distributed over the various categories. Grand Prize is $10,000. There will be more prizes, trophies, awards, ribbons and swag than you can pack in your bag, so bring extras.
- Official Rules: Draft rules can be found here.
- Course Designs: You can find the information about the course here.
NEW! Team Sport Competition
Compete as a team at the US Nationals. We have a special category just for teams, which will be judged upon a cumulative team time and a pre-defined metric to be announced shortly. Best team wins awesome bragging rights and additional cash and prizes. Pilots can only race on one team. Once you have 5 pilots on your team (they also have to be registered as an individual pilot), please register your team here, then list the names and emails. Teams will get an upgraded racing vest and awesome swag not available to individual pilots.
- July 15, Check in and registration opens, Party with us compliments of MultirotorSuperstore.
- July 16, All day pre-qualifications and time trials. Each pilot must go through a series of stations for safety briefings, qualification, verification and equipment check in. Each pilot will be assigned a space in the Pit area. Once you have successfully completed all stations, you are free to visit the fair, go to our off-site flying grounds for practice, or just hang out.
- July 17, All day head-to-head racing. All pilots who qualified for the finals will race during this day. It is imperative that you watch the Pilot leaderboard and scoreboards for all heat combinations. We will be running heats at 7 to 10 minute intervals, so if you are not ready and able to race at your designated time slot, you will receive a “Did Not Start” for that heat. If you receive two DNS, you will be disqualified from the event.
We are racing in the newly defined “California Style” race format, which is a slightly smaller course designed to test both speed and agility skills. Currently we have 3 categories of racing. Course designs will be posted shortly.
- California Speed Agility Course (Ladder style competition): Obstacle Course, featuring various obstacles, gates and flags. This course will offer under/over obstacles, funnel gates, hairpin turns, slalom, and Joker Lap opportunities.
- Invitational FreeStyle Competition (please contact us if you would like to be extended an invitation. You must be able to prove an advanced level piloting proficiency with a reasonable amount of youtube videos and followers.)
- Team Sport
General Rules (Draft)
- All pilots must have a current AMA license. No we don’t want you to join a club, yes we want you to be covered under our umbrella insurance policy and know that you’ve got a general understanding of piloting safety. Get the 3 month one using the sponsor member number 1044328:
Register here: https://www.modelaircraft.org/joinrenew.aspx
- All pilots have to attend a general safety briefing
- All pilots must demonstrate effective Fail Safe procedures
- All batteries must be transported and stored in LIPO-safe bags
- Pilots must use FPV to pilot aircraft. This can be goggles or a ground station display
- Pilots are required to have an I-LapRC Race Timing System Transponder mounted on your airframe for all official lap counting purposes. You can purchase one of these prior to the races or at the event from us or directly from I-LapRC.
Judging and Field Marshaling
- All races will be governed by our judging committee
- Each race will be monitored by cameras, timing/lap systems and field marshals to maintain fair and accurate competition.
- The field Marshall has the executive decision
- Any practice or behavior that deemed unsafe, (i.e. flying above the max ceiling) will result in an immediate disqualification.
Airframe General Guidelines
- 250 Class multirotor (3, 4 or 6 motors)
- Maximum Frame size under 330mm motor to motor
- 4S maximum LIPO battery
- 6″ Props Maximum
- Video Transmitter: We will be supplying video transmitters on race day. Once you register as a pilot we will send you a cable kit that you can pre-install before the race.
Accommodation and Travel
- All pilots are responsible for their own travel, accommodations and expenses
- Our official Hotel is the Marriott TownePlace Suites Sacramento Cal Expo. The discount code is “K5E” or mention Drone Nationals. It is very near the State Fair.
- Other accommodation options with discounts are listed on our accommodations page.
We have a very limited amount of funding that has been graciously donated by our sponsors to aid and assist pilots that are unable to attend due to various economic reasons. We can assist with race entry, travel and accommodation. If you are a student or would like to apply for financial assistance, please contact us. Please briefly describe your circumstances and provide any supporting links (i.e. youtube flight demo reels, etc).